Thursday, July 7, 2011

Greetings from Las Vegas

A postcard burns to ashes.
     The edges curl with a greeting from Las Vegas.
          People draped over furniture like little tattered fabrics
               drooping in a drunken stupor.

I awake in a bed with leopard skin sheets.
     A strange woman in my bed.
          The taste of tequila and cigarettes on my breath.
               My hotel suite spins in a sickening spiral; pulling my limbs down like quicksand.

It was my bachelor party here in Vegas.
     Friends all gathered around my feet.
          Who is this strange man in the mirror?
               I recognize his face but these sad eyes are something bewildering.

Face cradled in my hands I gaze upon my wedding ring.
     Little silver band engraved with 'Always and Forever True'.
          I grab an open bottle of liquor from one of the mannequin's hands and pour it over the postcard.
               I light a match and watch the postcard burn to ashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment